July 4, 2022
- When importing data from a CSV, we will automatically detect dropdowns and adjust the field type.
- We removed a screen resize animation to make admin tray opening slightly faster.
- If you try to change a Stacker Tables field type from text to number, data, datetime, currency, percentage or boolean, we will do our best to correctly convert it. 🧠
- In very rare cases, you would get a blank screen after clicking the Advanced button in the filter modal. Not anymore.
June 30, 2022
- Added information to filters to clarify that they are not a security feature - full details of why this is important can be found in this article about filters.
June 29, 2022
- You can now export your data to a .csv by simply heading to Manage fields and data and clicking "Export". Now you can take your data with you wherever you go!
- Fixed an issue where headers with rich text were displaying incorrectly.
June 22, 2022
We've added CSS selectors for buttons - use the below to make your buttons pop
Save - .stk-save-button
Edit - .stk-edit-button
Cancel - .stk-cancel-button
Delete - .stk-delete-button
We've also added the ability to target the text of any button via the .stk-button-text class.
June 20, 2022
- Rich Text Editor field values will now allow translation through translation plugins like Transifex. Bubble tea, please? Du thé aux bulles, s'il vous plaît ?
June 6, 2022
- You can now filter by date and time fields. New options are before, after, at a certain date/time.
- Rich Text Editing is now available for list view headers.
- If you were creative with setting up your filters, you could get the filter window to go out of bounds. It will now sit in place. 🐶
- If you were using multi-lookup fields for the Created by field, the feature wouldn't work. It sure works now.
- You can now add and remove images from the single image field in the Manage data pane.
- Adding and editing fields from the Manage data and fields pane is now better and easier.
June 1, 2022
- Attachments weren't opening properly on some configurations of List views. They will now.
May 30, 2022
- You can now add icons into your navigation menu.
- Previously when previewing without a user table connected there would be an error message. We now will just preview as the default user role.
May 23, 2022
- You can now exit the preview mode when the ESC key is pressed.
- When a list view failed to load a record, this would also disable access to the editing. This has now been fixed.
- Previously you were not able to view attachments using your keyboard, we've fixed this so you can now happily button bash as much as you like.
- The alignment on the date time picker in forms was off center, the arrow now points to the correct place.
- If you had a related record widget and attempted to display a one record view, this would crash. This is now working again.
May 18, 2022
- If you had a lookup field, we would not show it as a lookup field in Field settings. We will now tell you which field is a lookup field.
May 16, 2022
- .stk-editing-record - CSS class to identify when a record is in edit mode.
- Loading times of pages that don't have a selected sort order field should now be significantly better.
- Action buttons: you can now choose whether you want to show the Add new button for a related record field.
- If your lookup fields had null values in them, we would treat that as a hard stop and show you only one value. We will now just skip the null value and show you all the other values.
- If you had read-only fields in your table, you could get into a stuck state where the Add new button would show even though permissions didn't allow it. We will now properly hide the button.
- If your app had navigation sub-menus, you weren't be able to open or close the menu section on mobile Safari. You can now.
- Our links will now remember parameters with any hashes or search terms. This means that you can use autofill links that will return to a specific tab, and that the Inbox view will return to the correct related record.
May 11, 2022
- Airtable only: Using an action button would not update lookups and formulas related to linked records. We will now update them within seconds, and then we'll refresh the related data again after a few seconds to account for any automations.
- Conditional visibility filter on the Edit layout screen now has room for longer field names.
- When using a centered banner description, the text wasn't exactly centered. It will be now.
- If you were using an SSO Workspace and you tried to create a new Workspace, Stacker would crash.
- In an action button, you couldn't set a false value for a checkbox—you can now.
May 5, 2022
- You can now preview video, sound, and PDF files in Stacker. 👀
- If roles are turned off, we now won't show them when creating and editing permissions.
- In rare cases, users would get an error message after creating a record.
May 4, 2022
- We will now set better default settings for header images.
- All attachments should now have preview thumbnails.
- We will now show role filters only when roles are enabled.
- If you added a description to a section, we would cut off the title. Your titles will shine in their full glory again.
- If you had long record titles, the List layout would go wild and break. This will no longer happen.
- If you created a new app and tried to connect Google Sheets via the splash screen, you wouldn't be able to pick a sheet to connect to. This will now work as intended.
April 27, 2022
- When you were updating a pipeline status, the confirmation modal would contain unsightly italics. We will now use a more pleasant bold.
- Links to emails and phone numbers will now open in new tab by default.
- If you used a step title with no description in action buttons, the field label would go dangerously close to the title. We have increased the margin, and the step title will now have more room to breathe.
- If you tried to save a layout with no name, we would show you an error. The error would stay there even when you typed in a new name, and would disappear only when you saved the layout. We will now clear the error as soon as you start typing.
- .stk-text CSS class would drop the title attribute on certain widths. We have now taught it how to carry the attributes.
- Add an image icon in the rich text editor was seemingly not working. It will do its job now.
- Cancel and Save buttons would go out of bounds on mobile. They will now keep their place.
- Rich text Editor field in the banner used the wrong, smaller font-size, 14px. It will now use 18px like we intended it to.
- Warning menu was flagging false positives in certain cases. We gave it another dose of polish so the false positives should be gone. If you see any, please let us know.
April 25, 2022
- If a field is read-only, we will not let you set update and create permissions anymore.
- Using emojis in a Detail layout tab would misalign the tab. You can now add emojis without the fear of falling out of line.
April 20, 2022
- It's been a long road, getting from there to here. We will now show the exact
stardatedate and time format that you're using on your Airtable date fields.
- We will automatically hyperlink email addresses with the mailto: prefix. Like this: email@example.com
- We will automatically hyperlink phone numbers if you're using the phone field in Airtable.
- Removed Default Table Permissions App setting as permissions are now always turned on.
- We now support Rich Text Editing in form section, action button, and banner descriptions. Edit away.
- Our Intercom integration needed a few more touches. If you would like to use Intercom to support your app users, you only need to send us your App ID—we'll do the rest.
- Tables on the List layout were shorter than intended on Firefox, forcing you to scroll to see all records. Scroll no more.
- If you were using Action buttons for rich text fields, the rich text fields wouldn't update until you reloaded the page. You will no longer need to reload.
- Multi-record links and lookup fields weren't showing when creating new permissions. You can use both again.
April 12, 2022
- If you tried to edit multiple instances of the same field in a record, the app would sometimes crash.
- In the Create form, we would add the primary field twice in scenarios where it had been added to the layout but wasn't marked as primary. We won't be adding two of them anymore.
- Detail layout with a related list of the same type as the Detail layout didn't show in Inbox view—it does now.
- Tooltip text would show for long text fields even though the whole field is visible. We will now show the tooltip only when the text is truncated.
- Permission and filter warning system would sometimes incorrectly flag filters as needing an update. We should no longer show false flags, but let us know through the support widget if you see any.
Update from the product team - Airtable attachments
I'm Sam, a Product Manager here at Stacker. I'm a part of the team who are primarily focused on improving and innovating our Airtable product.
Firstly, i would like to thank all of you for expressing your thoughts concerning Airtable’s attachment field changes. I would like to take the opportunity to share some initial assurance and give you more insight into how that change impacts Stacker, and also share some exciting new updates that coincidentally should mitigate this issue.
Attachment URLs expiring after a few hours
Any attachment URLs obtained via the public API and the CSV export functionality will expire after a few hours
Due to the way that we fetch data via Airtable at regular intervals (maximum of every 15 mins), we will always serve non-expired links.
For the past few months, we’ve been working on a couple of features that we’re really excited about. Coincidentally, these features should help ease the transition for users that are impacted by Airtable’s attachment feature change.
This feature will ensure that even if your Stacker application has been open for a long period of time, it will refresh the attachment links when we fetch new data from Airtable.
Automations and formula fields
Formulas that reference attachment fields will not experience any changes in output. However, any attachment links that are output will become invalid and no longer work to access the attachment
We know that some of you also use Airtable automations and formula fields that rely on attachment URLs. We are currently exploring solutions to allow you to upload public file links to Airtable, within Stacker.
Lastly, we know that you’re legitimately concerned about the Airtable changes impacting your Stacker apps. Please rest assured we are actively working on solutions where we’ll minimize the impact well in advance of these changes coming into effect, and we’ll keep you updated as we make progress.
April 7, 2022
- Stacker Formula fields, especially useful for read-only data sources. Read all about it in our help article.
- We will now warn you if you have any invalid Stacker fields, permission rules, user lists, and layout filters. Look out for the ⚠️ sign in the Workspace sidebar.
- You will also see an error icon appear next to broken rules in Permission settings, and next to invalid Stacker links in the "Field" settings.
- If you’re on a version of Stacker with Customer Access, you will now be able to regenerate the API key and the sharing link for each customer. Security. 🔐
- We will now be way more efficient when loading a Workspace with multiple apps. Speed. ⚡️
- We're now better handling cases where you disconnect and reconnect User tables.
- We will now remove the associated profile field automatically when a user table is disconnected.
- We will prevent you from disabling tables in your data source that are currently assigned as the User table. This prevents apps from getting into a broken state.
- If you created a Stacker roll-up field and the field it looks at was not a part of your List layout, you would see a "no records could be loaded" error on that layout. We will now get the field value ourselves and show you the list.
- If you were using Intercom in your app, you couldn't get in touch with us through our support widget. We now properly support Intercom, and you only need to send us your App ID.
- The date picker would sometimes close unexpectedly. That meant you had to think of the date you want and then quickly select the date. You can now ponder with the date picker open.
- We recently fixed a rich text form taking over focus on the Create form. We have now fixed this on the Edit form too.
March 29, 2022
- After the March 22 update, we needed to take a few of the command bar features back to the repair shop. You should again be able to: Enable support login, open recent records, Preview as users, open our Help Docs, open App Settings. 🛠
March 28, 2022
- If you sent someone a link pointing to a specific tab in the app and they had to log in first, we would drop the tab part of the URL. We will now send everyone to the correct tab.
March 24, 2022
- If you connected a Users table and then disabled it in your data source settings, your permissions would break, and you needed to have a conversation with us. We can still have a conversation, but it won't need to be about this very topic.
- If you had a rich text field in your create or edit form, the field would often take the spotlight—it would do its best Beyoncé impression by scrolling the form to its location. We've explained that the form is more like Destiny's Child, so the field will now wait for its turn to shine.
- If you were using Google Translate on the login page, the page would sometimes crash. You can use your browser to translate the page again.
March 22, 2022
- Our command bar (Cmd + K on Mac and Ctrl + K on Windows) has learned new tricks. Now who’s a good boy? 🐶🍪
- If you clicked Contact us on the pricing page within the app, nothing would happen. We will now load the contact widget because it's nice to hear from you.
- There was a visble typo in one of the Edit layout screen. The typo will not be visible anymore.
- If there was an error in loading the Activity tab, we would show you an infinite spinner. We will now show an error message instead.
- If you were searching for an activity tab on the edit Detail layout page, the app would crash. You can now fearlessly search for the Activity tab.
March 16, 2022
- Added CSS classes for record headers (stk-record-header) and related record lists (stk-record-list). Each record list will have a unique ID so you can target them individually.
- Our help center link in the help menu was inappropriately opening in the same tab. It will now open in a new tab instead.
- If you're using tabs and you don't have any of them enabled on a specific page, we will now let you know.
- If you were a Workspace user, had access to 0 apps, and didn't have permissions to create new apps, we would still show you the button to create a new app. The option didn't work so it ended up being just a teaser. We won't show the create a new app button to those users anymore.
- The app was sometimes crashing when viewing related record lists after removing a field from that list. This won't happen anymore.
March 14, 2022
- Inline filters did not work with values that included commas. We've tweaked things a bit, and now they work.
- If we couldn't get a record for whatever reason, the app would sometimes crash. We will now handle these cases more graciously.
- If the user changed their name, we wouldn't update it in the Activity tab. We will now follow all the name changes.
- If you had a very long link in your Create form description, it would overflow and go out of bounds. We will now contain your links in the designated area.
March 7, 2022
- You can now see more fields when creating an action button—7 instead of 4. Space galore.
- If you had a really long app name, it could spill over the menu sidebar. We will now truncate thatsuperlongappnamewithanellips...
- If your Detail layout was starting in Edit mode, we would sometimes not load all the record fields. You should now be able to see all enabled fields.
- If you used a default value in an action button but then removed that value from your data source, the action button would show a blank value. You can now turn the default value on and off to reset the default value.
- Inbox view was showing attachment thumbnail from the previously viewed record instead of the current one. No more.
- If you edited a field and then cancelled the edit, we would wrongly show you the edit as saved until you reloaded the page. We will now cancel the edit properly.
March 2, 2022
- If records were deleted, they would still show in the List layout until you reloaded the page. The records should now *poof* immediately.
- Related records should now load slightly faster.
March 1, 2022
- With the revised Permissions UI, each new table should have permissions enabled. This wasn’t consistently happening, but it will now. Pinky promise.
- Custom favicons weren’t working on some login screens. We should now show your icon without hesitation.
February 22, 2022
This week we channeled our inner Schwarzenegger and terminated quite a few nasty bugs.
- The white bar on apps using Customer Access made a brief, unceremonious return. Hasta la vista, baby.
- Google Sheets import would not work if you had an invalid date and time field.
- In some cases, admins would see a blank permissions page. You can decide who should see what again.
- Menu margins were not always consistent. They are now pitch perfect.
- Signing in with a wrong Google account would show you an error that not even Skynet could decipher. We should now give you a better idea about what's happening.
- Learn more link for Customer Access apps was pointing to a missing article. It now knows where to go.
We'll be back.
February 10, 2022
- If you had long text links in activity, this would overflow and cause the layout to increase beyond the screen, this has now been contained.
- When formula and text fields are shown together in a layout, there would be a misalignment between the two field types. They are now aligned like any good relationship should be.❤️
- We have made performance improvements to field settings and user list to handle large amounts of data.
February 8, 2022
This weeks release brings improvements to the permission UI as well as many more bug fixes.
- We have improved the permissions UI to make this easier to set up. You can now see at a glance the access level for each permission rule, you can easily check and uncheck all fields in read, update and create and you can also view all your permissions in one place. More information on the changes can be found here.
- Previously when creating a record via inbox view, the newly created record would default to detail view, this would allow users to edit records even if they did not have edit rights. This has now been fixed so that the newly created records will default to inbox view creating a better flow with pipeline view too.
- We have removed “Create an Account” for the login screen. This was confusing as a user has to be in the app to login, therefore they do not need to create an account.
- We have removed grant support access for users who do not have access to Stacker support.
- Using an autofill create form would cause an error when filling out the form using saved information via Chrome. This now works so that information saved via chrome will now be recognised in the create form.
- For some reason Kanban decided to go on a diet this month and lose some width, we have fed Kanban view so it is now back to its normal width.
February 2, 2022
- Previously, Airtable lookups with a single select target field could only show one value at a time. We now support lookups of multiple values.
- A wide margin was displayed when accessing the app via mobile. We have removed the large spacing seen on the left.
- In card view, long text would exceed the width of the card. We all enjoy an overflow of ice cream but maybe not text.🍦
- On related record views, action buttons with conditional visibility did not display if the field used to filter is not visible in the view. This now displays as expected.
- Previously you were unable to click save when entering all roll-up field details on Airtable. You can now save.
February 1, 2022
- You can now sync schema on the Fields page of your data table settings.
January 28, 2022
- Preview As would break if you disconnected a user table, then reconnected the same table but picked a new email field. You can now pick any email field when reconnecting the user table.
- In our effort to improve the inbox view, we accidentally broke the Add new button for related lists that were set to show all records. That button is no longer broken.
- There were some unintended visual glitches when switching user table modes with filters open. No more.
January 25, 2022
Ability to delete records, improvements, fixes—this release has it all.
- If you're using Airtable as your data source, you can now delete records in Stacker. As Spiderman's uncle put it, with great power comes great responsibility. 👴 🕸
- If you're using Related record lists, you will now see the Edit the record list layout link when editing that related list.
- You can now add widgets to the Detail view by clicking the widget. This means you no longer need to drag and drop them, though you totally can.
- Improved the performance and refresh issues on the navigation editor.
- We've removed a few icons in admin settings in an effort to Marie-Kondo our app. Less clutter, more joy.
- Admin features like Edit layout would sometimes disappear after previewing as a role, forcing you to reload the page. You don't need to reload anymore, unless you want to.
- Manually adding a user when primary field was not a string (text) would end up crashing the app. We've explained what to do with such primary fields, and the apps are no longer crashing.
- If you were on a trial and had multiple permission rules, we wouldn't let you subscribe to Starter or Plus plans. While this was correct, we were also wrongly telling you that you had Roles enabled. We will no longer mention Roles unless you really have them turned on.
- If you subscribed for the Starter or Plus plans and had 0 permissions, we would show you a banner to upgrade to the Pro plan when you tried to add a single permission. This was not intentional, and you should now be able to add 1 permission per table on Starter and Plus plans.
- We've had trouble with the Created by field when you were using a multi lookup field as a Created by field. We now properly support multi lookups as Created by fields.
- Role assignment dropdown would reset whenever you added a new role. We now keep all of your role assignments.
- We recently introduced the ability to easily copy some fields with the copy icon. Record headings didn't adjust to their newfound power, causing all sorts of visual glitches. They are now fully adjusted.
- Inbox view would sometimes look dodgy when you first opened it. No more.
- If the app title was too long and you were using top navigation, the app name would show one letter per row. While it was slightly funny, it wasn't what we intended. We will now truncate the app name instead.
- If you were using the Inbox view and added a related record, you would be brought back to the first record on the Inbox list instead of the one you edited. We realized this was less than ideal, so we should now bring you back to the record you edited.
- If you had a lot of action buttons, you were not able to scroll through them in the Edit layout screen. You can now scroll and see all of your action buttons.
January 18, 2022
- If your lookup text fields had multiple values, we showed you only the first value. We can see clearly now, and will show you all the values. 🤓
- When you logged out from your Workspace, you would sometimes see a blank screen. It made a good painting canvas, but it wasn't what we intended—you will now see your Workspace login screen instead. 🎨
January 13, 2022
This week's release brings more performance improvements, minor tweaks, and bug fixes.
- If you have large apps, you should see significant performance improvements. ⚡️
- We've reshuffled the order of items within the support widget. This should make it easier to get help when you need it.
- You can now get to these release notes directly from your Stacker app. Open the support widget, and click What's new. Hello, nice to see you.
- Updated the support email address on the slow turtle screen that shows when records are too slow to load. We all love turtles, but hopefully you'll never have to see this one on your app.
- On some Stacker apps using Customer Access, the Customer Access list has disappeared. We found all the lists, and shepherded them back into the pen. 🐑 🤠
January 6, 2022
First release after the holiday break brings performance improvements and a few bug fixes.
- On related record lists, search used to work only from page 1 of the list. You can now search from any page—we won't mind.
- If you had Start in edit mode turned on and the user didn't have permissions to edit a record, they would still see the Save and Cancel buttons. We are no longer giving these users false hope.
- When users had access to only one app in a Workspace, the sidebar would hide some of the content. This forced users into an unwanted game of hide and seek, especially when using the inbox view. The sidebar has had its fun, and will no longer play games.
December 2, 2021
Add top navigation to your workspace app
You now have more control over your app's navigation. Starting today, you can enable top navigation in your workspace app.
To use this feature, open your app's navigation settings and select Top in the Navigation placement dropdown.
Fast apps are the best apps. Every week, we release performance improvements to make Stacker apps snappier. This week, we released a performance package to decrease data load times for your users.
Fixed: The confirmation modal appears when navigating away from a detail view after saving a change to the record title.
Fixed: Enabled parent navigation item doesn't appear with only a single child item.
Fixed: New users unable to access apps for up to fifteen minutes after receiving an invite in apps without a synced user table.
Fixed: Real-time data updates fail for records with permission rules applied.
Fixed: Notifications in the notification menu direct users to an incorrect record.
Fixed: Related lists display an error message when the underlying relationship field is deleted.
Fixed: Related lists fail when the underlying synthetic relationship field is read-only
November 18, 2021
Set an App Logo
You can now give each of your apps a unique visual identity by setting an app logo! Previously, all apps in a workspace shared the same branding. To use this feature, open the Appearance tab in your app's settings.
Every week, the Stacker team releases performance improvements to make your apps faster. This week, we released an update that will make complex list views load more quickly.
Fixed: Unable to show the "None" column in a kanban view if the column doesn't contain records
Fixed: The default detail view layout displays the record title field inside the default field widget even though the record title is now editable inline.
Fixed: The 'Hide Label' button appears next to fields in the Inbox and Kanban layouts even though the label is hidden by default.
November 11, 2021
Compose Rich Text in Action Buttons
Sometimes markdown just doesn't cut it, so we just brought our rich text editor to action buttons. This feature gives your users the ability to compose beautiful content right in the Action Button modal!
The rich text editor can now be turned on for any Airtable rich text field within the Action Button field options.
Speed & Performance Improvements
The Stacker team is going the extra mile to make apps load faster than ever. This week we made improvements to improve loading performance for all customers.
Fixed: Clicking on a container in edit mode navigates app makers to the top of the screen.
Fixed: Fields with a long name could not be toggled on in a pipeline widget.
Fixed: Action Button form fields prevented text to be entered in certain cases.